Plenty of people recognize the value of real estate as an investment. There is no doubt Donald Trump got rich with real estate. But I firmly believe that a rich life can be had even if you never sell your home again.
The slogan I picked for my business is “Home in on your dream.” I focus on the fulfillment of people’s desire for the “ideal” home. As I progress along this career, I more clearly understand that compromises are made all the time, even when people have the intention of making this home their last home ever. Because circumstances change, your plans to never move again can be foiled by forces beyond your control.
For starters, you may have to “settle” for something right now even though it isn’t perfect. This can be for a number of different reasons:
- The exact right home is simply not on the market
- You can’t afford your ideal home
- You can’t agree with your spouse on what makes a perfect living space
Then there are the actual buying choices you may need to make, which are lesser compromises:
- The house itself is just right, but it is in the wrong neighborhood
- Choosing between one house where the kitchen is unique and exactly what you’ve been searching for, and another with bigger bedrooms
- Another house has a master ensuite with the counter space and large shower stall you’ve always wanted but the windows don’t let enough light in
Finally, there are life changes or even realizations that modify your view on the perfect home:
- You always loved the idea of open concept but with three rambunctious kids you now need more separate rooms to get quiet time
- Your knees and back are giving you trouble and the circular staircases you thought were so cool are impossible to navigate
- A horror story of a family just moved in next door and they’re ruining your quality of life
Please note that many of the “problems” with a home can be solved. Major renovations or rebuilds are not impossible, but most people find them too expensive, time-consuming, or risky.
Even the best dreams are tempered by reality. That’s no reason to give up on your goals. If you shoot for the stars you’re sure to hit the silver lining on a cloud or two.